If You do not receive an email after registering ,check your spam folder in Your mailbox .
Auto registration in the queue from 5 minutes to 12 hours

If you have problems logging on the forum, write your message in the technical support forum
Registration is not required

Technical support Forum

Guides, Tips & Tricks for Creating Paintworks

Topic author
Geronimo_Express
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 208 (+209/−1)
With us: 7 years 2 months
Flag: Australia

Unread post #21by Geronimo_Express » 18.03.2019, 01:38

No worries Tony, I'll email it to you :yes:
OziModz Custom Mods
https://ozimodz.com

Bomberman82
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 47 (+47/−0)
With us: 5 years
Flag: Germany

Unread post #22by Bomberman82 » 18.03.2019, 04:18

Cool, Thank you. :class:

Added after 43 minutes 24 seconds:
Sry, but i got it! Thx to a tipp from another Thread @TommoK200 gave me an advice i try it and voila thx for your helping.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=249&p=9043#p9043

The colour don´t match up, but i could set it up in the dealermenue.

room217au
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 107 (+107/−0)
With us: 7 years 8 months

Unread post #23by room217au » 18.03.2019, 09:42

Geronimo_Express wrote:[..]Since everything that we are doing remains within the digital domain at the native raster resolution, it is safe to work entirely in pixel dimensions.[..]
I may have misrepresented myself there. Apologies.
When copying vectors from Illustrator directly into Photoshop, the higher the res in PS (because it's an RGB image), the better the vectors look. Then, when placing bitmaps into the same PS image, the higher res the bitmaps are, the more they "match" the vectors. Rasterising all after the skin is completed makes for a better result, imho.
I even rasterise text before flattening the whole thing and then save as dds.

It is a shame though, that while truck skins can be resized from 1024x1024 to, say 2048x2048 and still fit the truck perfectly, trailer skins cannot.
why is this?
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts.. do.

Topic author
Geronimo_Express
VIP
VIP

Bitmaps, Vectors and Image Re-Scaling...

Unread post #24by Geronimo_Express » 18.03.2019, 18:24

No need for apologies room217au, what you said was perfectly clear. :wink:

As you say, when you are importing "bitmaps" into your image, if their resolution is low relative to the size of your paintjob image you will certainly see that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idealy we would create the "bitmaps" at the pixel dimensions necessary to make its (native) size the same as that at which we intend to use the bitmap image in our paintwork, so that we will not need to rescale it to fit. The reason for this is that each time we rescale any raster image, such as "bitmaps" or "jpegs", it will always result in a loss of quality due to the fact that rescaling will only ever be an "approximation" that is interpolated from the physical pixels of the original image, and the human eye perceives this interpolated image as being "blurred". This is something that also needs to be considered when deciding to create our paintwork file at one dimension, say 2048 x 2048 pixels, and then up-scale it to 4096 x 4096 pixels prior to output (or in our case conversion to DDS format). This goes for rescaling in the other direction as well, such as creating our paintwork at 8192 x 8192 pixels and then down-scaling it to 4096 x 4096 pixels, although most interpolation algorithms are generally better at interpolating down-scaling than up-scaling.

While discussing re-scaling of a raster image, I should mention that although we usually think of a raster image as having two dimensions, i.e. an "X" axis dimension and a "Y" axis dimension such as 4096 x 4096 pixels, it does in fact have a third "Z" dimension which is it's colour "bit depth". For example, a Black and White image has a colour bit depth of "2", that is to say that each pixel can only be either black or white, whereas an 8 Bit Greyscale image has a range of 2^8 (2 to the power of 8) = 256 shades of grey, from white (0) through to black (255), and a colour image will usually be anything from 8 bit colour (2^8 =256 possible colours) up to 24 bit colour (2^24=16.7 million colours).

Therefore, for the sake of completeness, since images have this third "Z" dimension of "bit depth", changing this "Z" dimension of an image is actually a form of re-scaling and is also achieved through, and subject to the same limitations of, interpolation. For example, if we change a 24 bit colour image (that has a range of 16.7 million possible colours) to an 8 bit colour image (that has a range of 256 possible colours), then the software we are using will interpolate (which is like doing a 'best guess') how the 16.7 million possible colours of the original image are best represented using only the 256 colours available for the 8 Bit Colour 'scaled' image. This process can cause noticeable quality problems in such an extreme case of down-scaling colour bit depth, but it is usually far less critical when up-scaling colour bit depth. And, generally speaking, bit depth scaling is usually considerably less noticeable than scaling in the "X" and "Y" dimensions.

Vectors on the other hand can be infinitely rescaled without affecting their quality, since they are purely mathematical formulas that depict the shape in the form of [point 'A' - direction(angle) X distance - point 'B' ], hence the name "Vector", and mathematical formulas can accurately portray every shape imaginable. This is why it is generally better to use vector shapes for elements of our design which we are wanting to use at a variety of different sizes, such as for things like a company name and/or logo for example.

However, it is worth keeping in mind that when we are looking at a vector image on our computer screen we are only seeing a raster "representation" of that vector image, since our computer screen is a raster image device, and our perception of the quality of this "representation" of the vector shape is governed by factors such as our monitors resolution, LCD pixel size and pitch, and pixel density, relative to the magnification at which we are viewing the image.

Finally, when flattening our PS or PSP image ready for converting to DDS, all vector shapes (including text) are rasterised to the "X" and "Y" pixel dimensions that we specified for our paintwork image, such as 4096 x 4096 pixels, at a pixel ratio/scale of 1:1 and these are the pixel dimensions at which we will create our DDS file.
OziModz Custom Mods

room217au
VIP
VIP

Unread post #25by room217au » 19.03.2019, 03:16

There's no need to flatten the image before export to dds I've discovered.
"additive scaling" and "subtractive scaling" are terms we use in AV with LED screen panels. It's easier to remove stuff than add it because computers ain't that real good at guessing :)

Topic author
Geronimo_Express
VIP
VIP

Unread post #26by Geronimo_Express » 19.03.2019, 05:13

Indeed, if one is using, for example, Photoshop and the NVIDIA DDS Export Photoshop plugin it is not necessary to flatten the image before exporting directly from Photoshop.

However, some people do not use Photoshop and are instead using a different paint program which may not support direct DDS file export or the use of Photoshop plug-ins. For example, in the case of using Paintshop Pro, although it can theoretically use most Photoshop plug-ins, some of these, including the NVIDIA DDS Export plug-in, can be slow, problematic and unreliable when used within the Paintshop Pro environment. In such a case, one common workflow is to export a PNG file of the image from Paintshop Pro and then use the standalone program DXTBmp to create a DDS file from that PNG file.

Just to clarify further, it is not necessary to manually "flatten" the Paintshop Pro native layered image prior to exporting as a PNG file, since the action of "Save a Copy as: xxxxxxx.png" will automatically extract the content of all visible layers and combine/flatten that content into the exported .png file, without affecting the layered Paintshop Pro document that one is working in.

Also, for the novices among us, if you are creating a "flattened" version of your paintwork image, remember to make sure that you keep a copy of your complete "Layered" paintwork file so that you can still come back to it if you want to edit any of the layers separately.
OziModz Custom Mods

room217au
VIP
VIP

Unread post #27by room217au » 19.03.2019, 09:02

Pretty sure PaintShopPro saves natively as .psp ? Always handy to have the original in case of a booboo.
The good news is that Werewolf Customs is working on the next version of Mods Studio for ETS2 and ATS. Folks will be able to import png files directly into Mods Studio, like we did before. That will help out a bunch of people.

Topic author
Geronimo_Express
VIP
VIP

Unread post #28by Geronimo_Express » 19.03.2019, 09:15

:eh: ...Of course PaintShopPro can save in it's native .psp format, that doesn't mean that someone might not unwittingly save a flattened .psp file over the top of their layered .psp file of the same name and lose all of their layers, hence my sugestion to be careful when saving out!
OziModz Custom Mods

Pauly
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 7 (+7/−0)
With us: 7 years 10 months
Flag: Great Britain

Unread post #29by Pauly » 19.03.2019, 15:34

Good idea for ppl to ask questions,i have had many of my skins stolen an ppl have even tried to sell them as If they was there own creation,one thing I hate is when someone recolours one of my skins yet doesn't even give me credit for the original design,if your starting skinning then be prepared to see your designs pop up on some mod site somewere.

TommoK200
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 233 (+233/−0)
With us: 7 years 11 months
Flag: Great Britain

Unread post #30by TommoK200 » 19.03.2019, 15:54

Yup had one of mine stolen recently which hurt, giving correct credits doesn’t mean someone can make (tiny) money off it.

It’s getting harder to do it at all in my opinion. Anything I’ve released has been done from the ground up in photoshop copying real life pictures of trucks, and yet some “established” players like to play internet police without proof, one even telling me to have respect when they couldn’t even respectfully apologise once they’ve been proven wrong.
I’ve had someone do the same skin as me and release it, I didn’t go all accusatory on them because I have no way of knowing they didn’t find the same real life pictures as me.

Anyway, back to the painting, the dds plugin is really good for photoshop, I have folders of psd and dds files on my computer for all my skins.

Another feature I’ve enjoyed using in photoshop is the warp function, allowing you to manipulate your shape into custom shapes, for me I’ve used this to get curves and logo shapes just right.

Finally, playing around with the effects functions is also useful. For example when putting a strok effect (outline) then you have various options to help improve it. One of the best for me has been putting the stroke outside or inside. Putting it outside will mean the corners are curved, while choosing the inside option will mean right angles to the effect.

Another good one is the pattern effect, you can load in custom effects from pictures you find online, for example my Bryce paintjob has the wooden decking that is on the real truck: https://flic.kr/p/P3fsMw

room217au
VIP
VIP

Unread post #31by room217au » 20.03.2019, 04:37

TommoK200 wrote:Another feature I’ve enjoyed using in photoshop is the warp function, allowing you to manipulate your shape into custom shapes, for me I’ve used this to get curves and logo shapes just right.
I find that Illustrator is easier for me when doing shapes, strokes, arrows but that's possibly because I've had more experience with Ai from designing posters/tshirts/banners etc for sending to printers. And being able to copy 'n' paste straight from Ai to Ps is a huge bonus.
Photoshop is the king, I reckon, for painting trucks and trailers.
Currently putting together a bunch of skins for Rudi's Ekeri trailers in ETS2. Those trailers rock.

wombat457
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 253 (+253/−0)
With us: 5 years 2 months

Unread post #32by wombat457 » 20.03.2019, 11:00

Bomberman82 wrote:

Bomberman, I can't explain why their is a difference in the color between the Truck and the Trailer (in the game) - it shouldn't be different as they were both painted with the identical color. I'll double check it for you but, on my end at least, the colors match.
Cheers Mate ...
Tony

Topic author
Geronimo_Express
VIP
VIP

Unread post #33by Geronimo_Express » 20.03.2019, 11:40

Hi Tony,

I thought I should let you know that you'll find that it's sometimes necessary to tweak the colours of the trailers if you're looking to match them to a truck colour. It's most noticeable on dark colours, and usually you'll need to darken the trailer colours by about 10-20% darker than the colour from the truck. You may also need to reduce the saturation slightly with some colours to get them to look right.

I think the reason for the trailer colours looking different is due to differences in the material surfaces, such as the trailers being a satin finish compared to the high gloss of the trucks.

The way I do the colour matching is to darken the trailer, per the above, and then screenshot the truck and trailer in-game with consistent lighting. I find it most accurate if you do it in-game proper rather than just in the trailer browser or configuration screen because the contrast is lower in those screens.

If you open your screenshot in PaintshopPro it will be easier to match the colours since you can more exactly compare the colour properties using the Eyedropper Tool. It also means you're viewing the screenshot in the same colour space that you are working in.

It's a bit fiddly jumping back and forth between game and Photoshop/PaintshopPro but the results are generally worth the effort. :wink:

Cheers
Ian
OziModz Custom Mods

Bomberman82
VIP
VIP

Unread post #34by Bomberman82 » 22.03.2019, 00:34

wombat457 wrote:
Bomberman82 wrote:

Bomberman, I can't explain why their is a difference in the color between the Truck and the Trailer (in the game) - it shouldn't be different as they were both painted with the identical color. I'll double check it for you but, on my end at least, the colors match.

It´s absolutly o.k. i could set the colour brightness in the dealer menue now i got it :wink: Thx for your help.

Topic author
Geronimo_Express
VIP
VIP

Extracting SCS Game Files for Modding

Unread post #35by Geronimo_Express » 06.04.2019, 04:06

If you haven't yet done so, you will need to extract the ETS2 Base Game Files:

Step 1: Copy the Base Game Files "base.scs" and "def.scs" from the Euro Truck Simulator 2 folder at:

For Steam Game Version: Local Disk (C:)/Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Euro Truck Simulator 2
For Legacy Game Version: Local Disk (C:)/Program Files/Euro Truck Simulator 2/

Step 2: Create a new folder called something like "Extracted Game Files"somewhere easily accessed, and within that folder create two more folders, one for the "base.scs" file and one for the "def.scs" file and place the respective files you copied in Step 1 into them.

Step 3: Download the SCS Game Archive Extractor Tool from: https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Documentation/Tools/Game_Archive_Extractor

Step 4: Place the SCS Game Archive Extractor Tool into the folder that you created for "base.scs" and drag the "base.scs" file onto the SCS Game Archive Extractor Tool. When you do this a "Command Line" window with a black background will open up, this means that the Extractor Tool is working, and it will stay open until the Tool has finished extracting that file: It will look like it's not doing anything, but, Do Not close this window, it will close autimatically when it has finished and if you close it manually you will abort the process and will be left with just a bunch of empty folders.

Note: This step in the process will take a while since there are literally 10,000's of files being extracted. (When completed your new "base.scs" folder will be about 9GB and contain about 70,000 files.)

Step 5: When Step 4 has completed and the command line window has closed itself, move the SCS Game Archive Extractor Tool to the other folder which you created at Step 2 (for "def.scs") and repeat Step 4 with the "def.scs" file. (When completed your new "def.scs" folder will be about 15MB and contain about 11,000 files.)

Step 6: You will now have a copy of all of the extracted SCS game files in a folder structure that is the basis for modding.

Step 7: Now, in order to create a Mod, simply recreate that folder structure/s and include only a copy of the files from "base.scs" and "def.scs" which you require for your Mod.

SCS Software provides a Wiki document which contains information on all of the data structures and parameters used within the ETS2/ATS game, and which can be found here: https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Documentation

You can also follow the same procedure as above to extract the ATS game files.

Welcome to the virtually limitless world of modding...
Now go have some fun and create something amazing! :wink:

Cheers
Ian
OziModz Custom Mods

wombat457
VIP
VIP

Unread post #36by wombat457 » 06.04.2019, 07:13

Ian,

Okay, so did exactly as you wrote above and I ended up with nothing. The "window opened" after I dragged the base.scs file into the "extractor". It remained opened, seemingly doing nothing as you mentioned) then closed after a few minutes. All I was left with was the folder for the base files empty other than the extractor - no other files. Had the same result with def files as well. The "extractor" didn't extract anything, at least not into the folders the extractor was???

Added after 14 minutes 24 seconds:
Umm - disregard the above - forgot to "copy" the base and def files into the respective folders. All works great when you follow ALL of the instructions :oops:
Cheers Mate ...
Tony

Topic author
Geronimo_Express
VIP
VIP

Unread post #37by Geronimo_Express » 06.04.2019, 08:05

Heh heh, no woriies Tony, glad it worked in the end. :wink:
OziModz Custom Mods

Bomberman82
VIP
VIP

Unread post #38by Bomberman82 » 07.04.2019, 00:13

When i modded or change something in the extracted base.file. How i put it together?

wombat457
VIP
VIP

Unread post #39by wombat457 » 07.04.2019, 01:19

Bomber,

You need to highlight ALL of the files that make up the "base.scs" file then use (for example) Peazip to reform the modified base.scs file.

Highlight ALL of the files that make up the "base.scs" file
Right click on them and select Peazip
Click on "Add to Archive"
Where it says "NORMAL" in the 2nd Box down change that to "STORE"
In the "Output" box, change the ZIP extension to SCS (lower case)
Press OKAY

This will create the "base.scs" file for you/
Cheers Mate ...
Tony

Topic author
Geronimo_Express
VIP
VIP

Modding an existing SCS file VS creating a Stand-Alone Mod

Unread post #40by Geronimo_Express » 08.04.2019, 06:12

The way that you construct your mod file depends upon what you are trying to achieve and it is NOT necessary to repack ALL of the base.scs files for each of your mods. (Otherwise your mods would all be about 2GB in size.) :wink:

There are basically two scenarios in modding:

Scenario 1: You are changing an existing SCS or mod file and are using that changed file to replace the existing file in-game.

An example of this would be changing the appearance of the large garage (as you asked about earlier Bomberman82). In this case you are wanting to change the appearance of the existing SCS garage, which can be achieved by simply replacing the existing garage appearance DDS file with one which you have edited or created.

The way this is achieved is:

a) From your extracted base.scs folders copy out the "
garage_expensive.dds" file and edit the file by converting it and/or opening it in your paint program.

b) Save your edited file and convert it back to DDS (DXT5) format.

c) Create and name a new folder which will be your mod folder, for the purpose of this example we could name it something like "My Garage Mod".

d) In the folder that you just created (My Garage Mod) you now need to recreate the folder structure where your new "garage_expensive.dds" file will be placed. Since we want to replace the existing SCS "expensive_garage.dds" file with our own, ETS2 must be able to find it in our mod. SCS software identifies a file by it's name AND where it is located. Therefore, our replacement "garage_expensive.dds" must have the same file name and the same relative file location as the existing SCS version.

Therefore, to replicate the folder structure where we found the original SCS "garage_expensive.dds" file, in this example we will create the following folder structure in our "My Garage Mod" folder:

/prefab/garage

That is to say, in our "My Garage Mod" folder we will create a folder named "prefab" in which we will create another folder named "garage". This replicates the folder structure from which you first copied the original "garage_expensive.dds" file.

e) Now place your newly created/edited "garage_expensive.dds" file into the "garage" folder that you created in your "My Garage Mod" folder in step (d).

f) Next you would create two text (.txt) files, the first is a mod "manifest.txt" and the second a mod "description.txt" and put those into your "My Garage Mod" folder. If you want an image to show up for your mod in the mod manager you will also need that image, in .jpg format sized at 276x162 pixels, and you will need to have it named in your mod manifest file that you just created. The easiest way to see how to create a mod manifest file and a mod description file is to open up an existing mod (that works correctly) and see how the author did it.

g) You will now select all of the files and folders within your "My Garage Mod" folder and compress it into a .zip file which will be named the same as your mod folder (in this case "My Garage Mod.zip"). At this point you can put the .zip file straight into your Euro Truck Simulator 2 mod folder, as ETS2 and ATS will read both .zip files and .scs files. However, it is common practice to change the file name suffix to .scs to reduce confusion if you are going to share your mod with people who aren't familliar with modding.

Finally, activate your mod in the ETS2 mod manager, making sure that it is placed above any other mod that you may have that modifies the same garage that you have just modded.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All file names and folder names in ETS2 and ATS are Case Sensitive. Therefore, any files and folders that you are naming and/or referring to must have matching case. Generally, all folder names and file names within ETS2 and ATS, and therefore also within all mods, will be lower case only.

Scenario 2: You are creating an entirely new item that adds to the files that are in-game and does not replace an existing SCS or Mod file.

A simple example of this is creating a new paintjob for a truck. In this case you are creating an entirely new paintjob which you want to be available on a particular truck, but you don't want it to overwrite other paintworks for that truck. Therefore, in this case you will need to create the new "definition" files which will tell ETS2/ATS things like what the paintjob is called, it's internal name, which truck it is for, and the specifications of the paintjob such as price, colours, masks and the texture file name and location.

One of the main differences between this scenario and scenario (1), is that in Scenario (1) the file we created to replace an existing file MUST have the same name and folder location as the file we are replacing, however, in this Scenario (2) of creating a standalone paintjob the name of our paintjob file MUST NOT be the same as any other paintjob file for that particular truck. Because of this, each paintjob in ETS2/ATS must have an internal name which is unique to it (although the same "internal name" can be used for that paintjob in different trucks).

Once again, the best way to see how this works is to open up an existing mod, such as a truck paintwork mod, and look through it to see what files are included and open up the files such as the paintwork definition .sii files and see how they are done.

Hopefully that makes things a little clearer and helps you on your modding journey, :smile:
Cheers
Ian
OziModz Custom Mods

Return to “Skins”