If You do not receive an email after registering ,check your spam folder in Your mailbox .
Auto registration in the queue from 5 minutes to 12 hours

If you have problems logging on the forum, write your message in the technical support forum
Registration is not required

Technical support Forum

Painting the Maxicube

Topic author
room217au
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 107 (+107/−0)
With us: 7 years 8 months
Flag: Australia

Painting the Maxicube

Unread post #1by room217au » 13.03.2019, 12:24

Couple of things..
Whenever I apply airbrush paintjobs to the maxicube, the artwork is stretch both horizontally and vertically.
I believe I've discovered why.
The amount the artwork is stretched is exactly the same distance as the chrome/alloy edges of the trailer box.
What I think has happened is that when the UVs were placed as "islands" in the UV map to be exported, the shape included the entire side of the box and not only the painted surfaces.

The back doors should be two separate parts as well. Currently, any image placed on the back is "split" in two.
With a bit of mucking around I got this artwork to 'sit' kinda okay.

The other thing is, looking through the def files for the Maxicube when trying to figure out which file was which, I noticed this.
Located in: "def/vehicle/trailer_owned/rta.box/paint_job/accessory"
The "custom1" folder in that path does not exist. Not even in SCS Game files.
Interestingly enough, the template for the Maxicube is only 2048x1024 in size.
Why would these paths/files need to exist?
Is it for some future update or explansion?
I make no criticism you understand. I'm just curious.

Code: Select all

paint_job_mask: "/vehicle/trailer_owned/upgrade/paintjob/scs_box/custom1/pjm_at_0x6144_size_4096x2048.tobj"
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts.. do.

wombat457
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 253 (+253/−0)
With us: 5 years 2 months

Unread post #2by wombat457 » 13.03.2019, 20:48

Personally, the MAIN issue with the Maxi Cube Trailer is the "One Sided Template". Why, when the Vawdrey Trailers are "Double Sided" the Maxi Cube, that just had an update, isn't?

Take this for what it is worth but I HOPE Oleg and Michael take note ... the RTA Truck Models are excellent and beyond compare. The RTA Templates; however, generally leave a lot to be desired by comparison.

The Maxi Cube with one sided templates instead of double sided

The Volvo FH template that is a myriad of scales as if part sizes have been changed to fix an area rather than the Truck

The K 108 and K 200 with Round Fuel Tanks that take their color from the main color and cannot be separately painted

There are probably more however they are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. WHY, when you guys produce such first class Models, can't you produce the same level of quality and usability for the Templates?

These issues have been raised before but don't seem to have been addressed, so can we PLEASE get an explanation and updated templates.

room, sorry for digressing from your thread but any issues with the RTA Trucks revolves around their templates.
Cheers Mate ...
Tony

Admin-RTA
Administrator
Administrator
Loyalty: 495 (+502/−7)
With us: 7 years 11 months
Flag: Russia

Unread post #3by Admin-RTA » 13.03.2019, 21:07

One person has been working on templates for a long time. For more than a year, this person has not worked in RTA mods, and the new person, who now works with templates, requires a complete redesign of templates. We cannot afford to change the pattern, several hundred skins are made for each truck, and we get more criticism than positive feedback.
Many details come with a new update and need to be added to the template in the free space. This presents some difficulties.

MaxiCube template made exclusively for existing gaming companies.
And the size was determined by the actual company skins SCS 1024*512

Topic author
room217au
VIP
VIP

Unread post #4by room217au » 14.03.2019, 00:52

wombat457 wrote:room, sorry for digressing from your thread but any issues with the RTA Trucks revolves around their templates.
Nothing wrong with asking questions.
For the most part, the truck templates are good. Nice designs can be made, as we've seen with your skins andothers here. Truck templates are far more difficult to create, what with all the curved surfaces and funny shapes. I get that.
Trailer templates are flat, rectangular and un-complicated.

Admin-RTA wrote:Many details come with a new update and need to be added to the template in the free space. This presents some difficulties. MaxiCube template made exclusively for existing gaming companies. And the size was determined by the actual company skins SCS 1024*512
Thanks for that explanation. I do understand the issues that can come from changing an existing system.

A year or so back I attempted extracting a UV map for the Maxicube. This involved reading a rather lengthy tutorial and having some knowledge of Blender. When placing the UV meshes (islands) on the blank image for export, they can be moved around. I almost got it but the tutorial was flawed and after a couple of attempts I gave up.
Maybe I should look into having another go.
Keep up the good work. Your models are still better than all others.

Topic author
room217au
VIP
VIP

Unread post #5by room217au » 14.03.2019, 12:35

It seems my original theory was incorrect.
Spending a few hours today with Blender/BlenderTools/PixConverter I managed to export the two sides, front, back, roof, and underside of the maxicube trailer to a UV template. The back, front and sides are still 'stretched' but I believe this is merely a case of learning more about Blender and its options for UV map export.
The bad news is that the surfaces mentioned above are 'one piece' (piece14 for those interested) which means the sides of the trailer box cannot be made double-sided. At least I don't think so.
The back doors, as seen in place on the trailer box in Blender, are two separated surfaces, but on export to UV map, they appear joined. I think this is also something that can be overcome simply by knowing more about Blender.
At some point, I will have a working, correct template for the Maxicube trailer.
I do not mean for this to replace RTA's template because of reasons stated earlier in this thread by Admin-RTA. Instead it is only for custom paintjobs on owned trailers.
If successful - and there's no guarantee - it will be only available as an attachment here on this forum. Don't expect anything soon.

Bomberman82
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 47 (+47/−0)
With us: 5 years
Flag: Germany

Unread post #6by Bomberman82 » 15.03.2019, 19:03

Sry, when i asking but is there any paintjob´s for that ownable Maxicube??? I didn´t find anything.

Topic author
room217au
VIP
VIP

Unread post #7by room217au » 16.03.2019, 03:01

Bomberman82 wrote:Sry, when i asking but is there any paintjob´s for that ownable Maxicube??? I didn´t find anything.
You have to make your own skins. Maybe other people will make skins too. Not yet.

Return to “Maxicube Trailers”