If You do not receive an email after registering ,check your spam folder in Your mailbox .
Auto registration in the queue from 5 minutes to 12 hours

If you have problems logging on the forum, write your message in the technical support forum
Registration is not required

Technical support Forum

7Zip and Winrar

Topic author
Demodave68
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 0 (+0/−0)
With us: 7 years 8 months
Flag: Australia

7Zip and Winrar

Unread post #1by Demodave68 » 08.07.2017, 15:10

Hi everyone, (skeletal mod, but also with other mods)
I have an issue with 7Zip and Winrar - When I go to archive files after adding skins, I am getting duplicated folders within folders.
For instance, the archive (scs) should have def, material, vehicle, mod image, manifest and mod description - when I open the vehicle folder what I find is that it should only have (inside the base file from RTA or Steam etc.)
1. trailer
2.trailer_eu
3.truck
4.wheel
what I am getting is ( after archiving with 7Zip and /or Winrar)
1.vehicle
2.trailer
3.trailer_eu
4.truck
5.wheel

There is also duplicated folders within the def folder.
I have uninstalled both programs then reinstalled them, I had massive problems with Windows 10 last weekend, had to install a second hard drive and reinstall Windows 8.1 could this be my problem or is there a setting that I need to make to 7Zip and or Winrar.
If anyone can give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Dave

Turt
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 76 (+82/−6)

Unread post #2by Turt » 11.07.2017, 13:13

Hiya mate,

I use 7-Zip, so I'll help you out with that. By the sound of it you have a path issue (not sure how your creating your skin ie: by hand or modding tool).

The basic's, create a mod folder (I'll call mine turtsmod) & place all needed files/folders into it.

Don't select the main mod folder (turtsmod) when archiving. Instead, select all the files & folders inside the main mod folder (Ctrl+A). Then (for me) use RMB (right mouse button), then go, 7-Zip->Add to archive.

When doing it this way, settings for a *.scs archive are,
Archive format = zip
Compression level = Store

Also check these options to see if they read,
Update mode = Add and replace files
Path mode = Relative pathnames

All other settings will be default. Click "OK" once you have checked the settings. And after your archive is created, then rename it to, my-mods-name.scs (that's right, change the extension from .zip to .scs). With 7-Zip, it will keep your settings until you change them.

If you are editing someone else s mod, then unpack the mod (RMB, 7-Zip->Extract files), do your editing, then see my "Don't select main" section above for steps to pack the archive up again.

Normally, for "repainting" a model, it's just a matter of over righting a texture .dds file. So for example, lets say I want a new "acid look" for the acid trailer. Then I will find the main .dds file that contains what I'm after. Open it/edit it & save it back over the top of the origin. That is after I have backed up the origin first :)

This is just "my" way of doing things, different strokes for different folks :)

Cheers Turtool

Topic author
Demodave68
VIP
VIP

Unread post #3by Demodave68 » 12.07.2017, 12:31

Thanks Turt for the reply mate, all the settings are the same as what you have, about an hour ago I tried again and it seems to have fixed itself.
I have been using 7Zip for a couple of years successfully just had the issue after going back to Windows 8.1
Normally I extract the files and folders onto my desktop, do my changes then repack it, with the correct name and move to the mod folder. Later place the files and folders into a new folder then rename it. I think I will now do it the same way you do by placing the extracted files and folders into a new folder on the desktop then doing my work and packing the files folders from there.

Thanks again for the advice and tips mate, appreciate it. :class:

Dave

Added after 1 minute 43 seconds:
P.S. I do my skins that way

Turt
VIP
VIP
Loyalty: 76 (+82/−6)

Unread post #4by Turt » 12.07.2017, 16:50

Your welcome mate, glad to hear it's working...

I just want to clarify my method for editing (as opposed to creating a new mod). Lets say I download a garage in .scs format (but I don't like the paint job). I navigate to the d/loaded .scs mod, make a copy of it, then extract it (RMB, 7-Zip->Extract files). Do my editing, then select everything inside the extracted folder, pack it up (RMB, 7-Zip->Add to archive). Where upon I will have a .zip (with mods origin name) inside the extracted folder. I simply rename the extension of the newly zipped archive to .scs & then place it in the games mod folder for testing.

Speaking of the games mod folder, you can also use it for editing/testing of mods. The games will read archives & extracted content. As long as the extracted content has it's own folder inside the mod folder. ie: ATS\mod\extractedcontentfolder<---mod files in here

Note to all, any editing I do to other peoples mods/work is personal & private. I will not fix your mod even if you are the author. This is not to say that I will not troubleshoot your work. I just won't do the work for you....and no, I don't do requests :)

Cheers Turt
ps: Hope this is a bit clearer for you Dave :)

Topic author
Demodave68
VIP
VIP

Unread post #5by Demodave68 » 13.07.2017, 08:39

Okay, I see what you do there mate.

Cheers,
Dave :smoke:

Return to “Technical support”